More and more people are singing up for online dating sites. Whether it’s a product of technology, or our changing lifestyles, the numbers show that online dating simply works. And while many people...
Gay Dating Apps: 5 Best Alternatives to Grindr
Grindr has changed the dating world for gay men and sparked countless casual connections and even some serious relationships. The app is active in almost 200 countries, and in some ways has supplanted the old culture of gay bars as a vessel for meeting other interested men. The bottom line - Grindr has been a phenomenon and it’s hard to picture our lives without it.
Like countless other products - the genius is in the simplicity. It uses location technology to instantly show you other men in your area who are available, and allows you to reach out and make that connection right away. Even better, it’s supported by ads and totally free.
Now, Grindr has changed the game - but it hasn’t knocked online dating sites off the block entirely. There are still many dating sites that offer a comprehensive experience for people looking for love and which also offer some fun Grindr-esque features for when you’re just looking for a good time. So, even if you are currently on your way to meet that hot guy 500 meters away, take some time to scroll through some of the best online dating sites for gay singles, all of which can compete with Grindr.
Sometimes dating can seem like a numbers game, and with Zoosk the numbers are on your side - and then some.
There are more than 50 million people using Zoosk, including millions of gay and bisexual men in countries across the world. When you sign up you can select that you are a man looking for a man, and while it won’t let you select “bisexual”, Zoosk says on the company website that bisexual members are given a second account at no additional cost.
Like Grindr, Zoosk is mobile ready. The Zoosk app allows you to check messages at all times no matter where you are, and is always in your pocket primed and ready to help you send digital gifts, talk and flirt with other members.
Some key Zoosk features include:
- Behavioural Matchmaking: Zoosk tracks which profiles you like in order to understand your likes and dislikes and sends you matches which are more in keeping with your preference. There are tons of men in the sea, this tool helps you hone in - like spear-fishing instead of casting a wide net.
- Build a profile that suits you: On Zoosk you can really have fun and express who you are in your profile. You can fill it in and let other men know if you’re a twink, a bear, an otter, or just have fun with it and say you’re a duck-billed platypus, that’ll keep em guessin.
- Let the system work for you: Every day you’ll be sent a new member profile based on the scientific matchmaking system. You can also take a survey to show what you’re interest in, and then let Zoosk do the work and find that guy for you.
- Photo verification safety feature: If you’ve used Grindr long enough, you know about the ol’ bait and switch. Somehow, in-person a user’s 6 pack becomes a no-pack and those gorgeous curls they had in their profile pic in the light of day sure look like a giant bald spot. With Zoosk, users’ photos are verified to help keep out the fake profiles.
Pricing is flexible with Zoosk. You can pay it by month for $29.95, or sign up for a 3-month membership at $19.98 or go all in for six months at $12.49 per month. In addition, you can always splurge on some Zoosk coins, a digital currency that allows you to buy digital gifts for other users and flirt to your heart's content.
When it comes to dating it's good to have a joker or two up your sleeve.
With match.com, you have tens of millions of possible matches in countries across the world, and more than a few power tools that can really give you an edge up when it comes to finding Mr. Right.
Match.com is also known for its simplicity, and a user experience that keeps people coming back for more, until Mr. Right gets them to throw in the towel.
Some key match.com features include:
- Missed Connections: Was there a hot guy nearby you missed? With the missed connections feature, match.com will send you a notification when another user has just been near your location. You can then respond, send a message, and the two of you can take it from there. It’s not as instant as Grindr, but it still helps you make real life connections - in real time.
- Getting to know you: match.com asks you questions about your ideal match, your deal breakers, and your interests, to help you narrow down the playing field.
- Reverse match: See profiles of singles whose interests match yours, so you can find them even before they look for you.
- Customized daily matches: Every day you’ll wake up with a number of customized matches waiting in your inbox. You can swipe through these boys just like on Grindr, and the system learns which ones you liked and didn’t like, and adjusts the future matches accordingly.
- Live meetups: match.com holds meetups - like happy hours and karaoke nights - for members in dozens of cities across the world. Are you on the list?
When it comes to pricing with match.com, the longer you sign up for the better the deal. A month’s membership runs $40.99, 3 months is $25.99 per month, 6 months is $22.99 per month, and a 12-month membership is only $19.99 per month.
Look, we get it, everybody loves to play the field, but, how can you put this nicely... not everybody’s playing in the same league. If you’re just looking for a good time on an app like Grindr this might not matter much but when you’re looking for something more serious, it’s time to find somebody on your level.
EliteSingles is a dating site dedicated to matching ambitious professionals with people like them, who share their lifestyle and vision. The guys on here are all college-educated and most are well-established in their careers. They’re still looking to have some fun too, but if you want a serious relationship and you want a successful man like yourself, you’ve come to the right place.
EliteSingles does take a bit more of an investment than Grindr. The signup requires users take a lengthy personality test, but the effort is worth it as it can really help them match you up with potential dates.
Here are some popular features of EliteSingles:
- Plenty of fish in the sea: More than 13 million members on the site
- Expert matchmaking tools: The questionnaire takes a while, but it is the most comprehensive test of its sort, and it really helps the site send you the best possible matches.
- Standards are kept high: EliteSingles is limited to college educated professionals
- Private inbox messaging: This allows you to send winks and likes directly to other users’ inbox, and can give you pre-written icebreakers to give you an in.
- Safety: EliteSingles has devoted an entire page on the website to online dating safety, with helpful tips like be skeptical of people who post things that sound too good to be true, and the site also guarantees that it will never sell your personal information.
- 20 extra matches per day: Paid memberships include 20 extra matches sent to your inbox every day. You can scroll through them just like on Grindr and every day brings a new batch.
How much does it cost? EliteSingles is for a rarefied clientele, and the price is not cheap. A 3-month plan costs $89.95 per month, a 6-month plan runs $54.95 per month, and a 12-month plan costs $49.95 per month.
Sometimes we need just a little help to get us going in the right direction. Eharmony is a dating site devoted to helping people - straight, gay, you name it - find real love and a serious relationship.
The site isn’t for scrolling through ice candy and pics of….abs, its about cracking the code of your compatibility, to help you find the perfect man to meet, go out with, and hopefully settle down with.
This company has a different approach to dating than Grindr, and has put in the time and research to the science of dating. Eharmony is just waiting for you to let them help navigate.
Here are some popular features of Eharmony:
- Compatibility test: its not just about having the same interests, a couple needs to be compatible beyond that. Eharmony has a world-famous compatibility test that users take in order to help the site pair you with great matches. Unlike Grindr and other similar sites, you don’t scroll through countless possible dates. Instead, the site sends you matches that it has carefully selected based on the test you took, and you decide what to do from there.
- Secure call: You want to take this conversation offline? There is a secure phone line option that lets you talk safely and discreetly with other users, without having to give them your details.
- No spam: The system only allows you to receive messages from compatible matches, so you don’t have an inbox filled with unwanted messages from who knows how many users.
- Security: eharmony reviews every applicant's background in order to verify they are who they say they are.
There are various plans on eharmony, priced by duration. A 3-month plan costs $59.95 per month, a 6-month plan is $45.95, and a 12-month plan is only $25.95 per month.
With millions of users of all ages looking for everything from a serious relationship to a Grindr type meetup, RSVP is a fun and also serious dating site that's got something for everybody.
It only takes a few minutes to sign up, and you can do so with your Facebook account. The site uses scientific methods to improve the quality of your matches, making sure that people don't come into your feed with a bunch of deal breakers.
In addition, the site has an intuitive, easy to use interface that makes it one of the simplest, most enjoyable dating sites to use. Here are some popular features of RSVP:
- Incentives to reply: This is a very unique feature of RSVP. An algorithm tracks your reply rate, and the more often and quickly you reply to other users’ messages, the higher you will appear in search results. This encourages users to reply and get talking, and not just let the inbox pile up with messages.
- Two-way matches: Matches are generated when both users match each other’s profile criteria, which works with the “ideal partner” traits you selected. You only get exact matches this way, but you can also tweak this system or turn it off if you want.
- Free kisses: A playful and fun way to let that guy know you like him - this is a little taste of Grindr on RSVP. You can send kisses to any user you want, and sending a kiss can also unlock additional content for you, like pictures on the other person’s profile.
- User friendly: The website's desktop and mobile versions are very easy to use and include lengthy tutorials as well as customer service support if you ever get stuck. The site only takes seconds to sign up through your Facebook.
Unless you were on a desert island for the last decade or so, then you know about Grindr and you have probably used it to meet somebody at some point. The appeal of Grindr is obvious and the company has earned its status as one of the world’s top dating apps. Having said that, many online dating websites have options similar to Grindr, but unlike Grindr, these sites also have comprehensive services to help users who are looking to get to the good times and beyond. So take some time and check out these great sites and apps for gay dating.